EMU CAMPUS VISITORS GUIDE
WELCOME TO TRUEMU.
Welcome to Eastern Michigan University. Visiting campus is the best way to get a true feel for what sets us apart from other schools — the advantages of a small private college with large-school resources. Talk with current students to help you decide if EMU is a good fit. Student-guided campus tours are available most weekdays and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Group tours are also available. For reservations and dates when classes are in session, call 734.487.6453 or go to emich.edu/admissions/visit.
- Founded: 1849, the second oldest institution of higher education in Michigan
- Setting: Urban, historic, mid-size city (Ypsilanti) in Southeastern Michigan; northern climate
- Character: Comprehensive, Community Focused, Traditional, Public, Diverse, Research, Residential, Coeducational, Practical, Supportive
- Enrollment: 21,105 total students from most of 50 states and more than 900 students from nearly 100 countries; 17,541 undergraduates; 23% female; 25% minority; 5% international
- Average GPA: 3.26 for incoming freshmen
- Academic Programs: 200 majors, minors and concentrations in five colleges (Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Health and Human Services and Technology) plus The Honors College
- Growth: EMU’s freshman class grew 42% and The Honors College grew 100% since 2010, among the highest in Michigan; 23% increase of EMU African-American freshmen enrolled (656) and 6.5% increase of Hispanic freshmen enrolled (183) in fall 2016 over the previous year’s class
- Faculty: 1,390
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 18/1
- Sports: 21 NCAA Division I varsity sports (Mid-American Conference)
- Colors: Green and White
- Mascot: Swoop